Friday 17 February 2012

Starting the Stock

I have a piece of 4 x 3 inch opepe (an african hardwood) slightly yellowish in color

I wanted to rip it down to 4 x 2 inch. But unfortunately I don't have a bed saw. So the hand saw came out.
I marked out the timber, brushed the cobwebs off the saw and set to work.
I forget how hard it is to cut a good quality timber.
2 coffees and 2 hours later the rip was done. Not perfect but close enough. A quick clean up with a plane and I was a happy chappy.
The timber was not wide enough to accommodate the full design (Thanks to Jay Jasons blog for the design template). So I'm using the excess from the end of the piece to make up the difference. I'm lucky enough to have had a good quality router bought for me, by my father-in-law for Christmas, a year or so ago.

So attaching the 2 excess pieces with a tight fitting tongue and groove joint, should not be a problem.

I would have liked to have done the joints and glued up the piece tonight, but I've had a glass of sherry and using a router on an expensive piece of timber, while not 100% on the ball. is not a good idea.
More updates tomorrow night.
Peter.........

No comments:

Post a Comment