Tuesday 14 February 2012

Working with Aluminium

I have never worked with aluminium before. But I'm finding it rather therapeutic. Ok the cutting of a 40mm thick round bar, was not easy, but with a good hacksaw and a little bit of time. It went quite well.

After the initial cuts and drilling was done. All was left was the shaping with the set of files I have in my shed.

(Tip 1.)

I found the work was much easier with unclogged files.

So keep cleaning them with a wire brush.

Infact I spent about the same amount of time clean the files as I did using them. But it was well worth it.

(Tip 2.)

The drill press.

After using a center punch to mark a hole to drill, I clamped the piece into the drill press. Unfortunatly, it was not in the perfect position, but the drill bit still found the punch hole.

On completing the drilling of the piece the hole was not straight. 

The best solution was to center punch the hole but don't clamp the piece into the drill press. Allowing the drill to center the piece for you.

As it stands I have a working trigger mechanism.

My safety catch design is different to must, as it must be held down by the thumb in the fire position, to be able to pull the trigger.  Releasing the safety catch will automatically re-engage it.

Basically the safety catch is always ON, unless you hold it off.



Finger is above the safety catch



Sliding down the safety catch



Excuse the rubber band.

I said I was in need of some springs!

1 comment:

  1. I will like more details about this trigger with some measure if its possible.
    Must say you done great work.

    tnx

    ReplyDelete